Renowned Dental Sleep Medicine Specialist Dr. David Schwartz Joins Dental Professionals
The Chicago area’s leading full-service dental practice further expands capabilities in unique specialty
“I’m thrilled to join forces with this outstanding group of professionals to offer patients my skills in sleep medicine alongside their exceptional, personalized oral healthcare,” says Dr. Schwartz. “I fully share their commitment to providing the highest quality treatment with advanced technology solely focused on enhancing patient comfort and outcomes.”
A practicing dentist since 1988, Dr. Schwartz is the current President of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM), the preeminent organization dedicated to this type of patient care. He is one of a limited group of dentists in the country to be awarded the designation of Diplomate of the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine. A pioneer in the field, Dr. Schwartz is regarded as one of the nation’s foremost experts and lecturers and works to educate other healthcare professionals on best practices as well as direct future research.
Dental sleep medicine centers on oral appliance therapy (OAT), a clinically proven treatment for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and snoring. Worn at bedtime, similar to a nightguard or retainer, the appliance is designed to counter breathing obstruction by maintaining an open airway, stabilizing the tongue and jaw, and preventing any collapse that leads to blockage. Compared to CPAP machines traditionally used to treat sleep apnea, an oral appliance is less invasive, more comfortable, and easier to use and maintain, according to Dr. Schwartz.
“A custom-fit oral appliance allows people who suffer from symptoms of sleep apnea to experience uninterrupted, continuous breathing through the night,” says Dr. Schwartz. “Improving sleep in this way has a profound impact on a patient’s overall well-being, helping to restore alertness and revitalize health.”
A graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry, Dr. Schwartz completed postdoctoral continuing education focused on treating OSA, and is a strong supporter of advanced medical training for all who practice dental sleep medicine.
“Our collective mission at Dental Professionals is to go beyond dentistry,” he says, “and this describes my approach perfectly. Providing the best treatment for OSA involves much more than simply placing an oral appliance. We consider it in the context of a medical disease – one with a high likelihood of comorbidities.”
It is estimated that 40 million U.S. adults have undiagnosed or untreated obstructive sleep apnea, which increases their risk of health complications such as hypertension, congestive heart failure, atrial fibrillation, coronary artery disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.
Dr. Schwartz has authored numerous articles for professional publications including the Journal of Dental Sleep Medicine (JDSM), Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine (JCSM), and Dental Sleep Practice (DSP) Magazine. In his role as AADSM president, Dr. Schwartz crafted an influential policy statement published in JDSM recommending the prescription of oral appliances as first-line therapy during the pandemic for sleep apnea, stating that CPAP therapy potentially exposed other individuals in close proximity to the patient to an increased risk of transmission of COVID-19. Other key writings include:
- JDSM- 2019-Definition of an Effective Oral Appliance for the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Snoring: An Update for 2019
- JDSM 2019-Oral Appliance Therapy Should be Reimbursed After CPAP Intolerance
- JDSM- 2018 Dental Sleep Medicine Standards for Screening, Treating and Managing Adults with Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders
- JDSM-2017 Management of Side Effects of Oral Appliance Therapy for Sleep Disordered Breathing
- DSP-2015- “Eenie Meenie Miney Moe” an article on the selection criteria for oral appliances
- JCSM-2014-“Sleep Medicine Care Under One Roof: A Proposed Model for Integrating Dentistry and Medicine
Dr. Schwartz’s recent lectures include:
- Covid and Dental Sleep Medicine an AADSM Review-March 2021
- American Academy of Dental Boards-An Overview of Dental Sleep -April 2021
- Missouri Sleep Society-Dental Sleep Medicine Overview-April 2021
- Prosomnus-Voice of the Customer – April 2021
- Somnomed Summit- Key Opinion Leaders- May 2021
- Fundamentals in Device Design/MAD Personalization-2021
- SEMDES-Playing in the Sand Box Together-November 2020
About Dental Professionals
The top-rated Dental Professionals are dedicated to a mission of going “Beyond Dentistry” to enhance patients’ overall healthcare and personal well-being. A full-service oral healthcare provider, Dental Professionals offers expertise ranging from dental implants to cosmetic veneers, crowns to full mouth reconstruction. Comprehensive general dental care and specialist treatments for complex needs, including Dr. Schwartz’s oral appliance therapy for sleep apnea, are provided onsite at both Dental Professionals locations in downtown Chicago and the suburban North Shore.
Suffering From Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Comments are closed.